Sunday, March 24, 2013

Birthday Parties

There are three crucial ingredients for a good birthday party: cake, people and fun. That's about it. Maybe some balloons and some fancy decorations but that's optional. Presents are somewhat of a given but not always. Yesterday, I had my birthday party. Being as my birthday happened to be right near my cousin's wedding, my out-of-state relatives were there too. I'm not turning sixteen until the 28th but such trivialities hardly matter.

Apparently, sixteen is a big deal. I'm not entirely sure why that is, but it is. The presents and the attention paid to me was even more lavish than usual and everyone was so excited about the whole thing. I racked up even more money than usual. So, in that regard, this birthday party was much different than other birthday parties were. So when it was time for presents and thanking everyone, I was a bit overwhelmed by the flood of presents and money. But I'm incredibly grateful that I have such a supportive (and generous!) family to help support me. I got a few new (beautiful!) journals and some money.

The people part can be a bit overwhelming, I admit (it will be even more overwhelming when I have to write thank-you cards to everyone about all of the gifts). I didn't know how to respond to everyone there and relate to what I was talking to. Social interaction can always be a little exhausting. On one hand, it felt good but on another, it felt like so much at once. Luckily, it was positive attention but still, I'm not the best at it. But I did my best to be the perfect little hostess and talk to everyone there.  I tried to show how appreciative I was. But the fun part came with that because I enjoyed interacting with them. At birthday parties, the nice thing is always being at the center of attention so it's almost always fun for you unless your party happens to be lame.

The cake, the centerpiece of the whole event, was absolutely delicious. I wanted an ice cream cake because those always taste the best. I got that but this particular ice cream cake also had pieces of cake in it, which was interesting. I got a lot of awesome shots of it too as well as a lot cool shots of my family members doing various things.

The one awesome part about birthday parties is that they really lift your spirits. They can really make you feel loved. This, of course, is exactly what I needed. The general aura of the whole thing can be quite healing when you have been isolated for so long.

Birthday parties, I suppose, are also an interesting cultural insight. How many other places put sticks on a cake and then light them on fire. It's strange when you think about it. But the whole idea of a social idea/celebration is nothing new. The particular customs might have changed quite a bit over the years but the feeling remains the same.

Birthday parties are awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment