Friday, May 9, 2014

Knitting

I've recently learned the incredibly useful skill of knitting. Thanks to a workshop I took at my school, I have become addicted to knitting almost, determined to master the skill. Admittedly, I can only do the most basic knit stitch right now, which means that I can pretty much only do a scarf right now. Still, I'm definitely enjoying knitting.
 
I know that knitting is associated with a bunch of old cat ladies, but this stereotype is entirely unfounded. People of all demographics enjoy knitting equally. It is actually a lot of fun. 
 
Knitting has been an interesting skill to learn. Admittedly, it was pretty frustrating at first. Knitting is a skill best learned by sight, example and practice and it's difficult to learn it any other way. I watched the knitting teachers knit over and over again, and for a while, I didn't get it. At first, I didn't understand the basic cast-on through the finger method, but then it just clicked. After that, I was determined to understand the rest, realizing that the rest of knitting was in my reach. 
So far, I have learned how to do the knit stitch and am currently working on a scarf. Before that, I had to learn how to knit, even on the first couple of rows (which are tighter than the resulting rows). I had to get the method just right, and before that, I had messed up (I put the needle from the right side instead of the left side). This required me having to undo a lot of rows and it was frustrating. Even when I did get it, I would drop a lot of stitches and I haven't learned yet how to fix it. But now I've gotten it. The scarf looks really awkward at first, but I have definitely improved. 
My work so far
There are still so many things I want to learn. I want to learn the purl stitch and the combination of rows of knit and purl stitches that can lead to bigger designs. I want to learn how to fix a dropped stitch. I want to learn how to make hats, scarves, mittens, even sweaters. I want to learn how to crochet as well, because I feel like that would be cool too. Knitting has unleashed this determined, obsessive part of me. 
 
When I was still learning how to knit, I was incredibly frustrated. I couldn't seem to get the hang of it. Yet the more frustrated I became, the more motivated I became as well. The little victories that I had were enough to push me on. 
 
And so I learn. I'm still learning. Knitting is actually quite relaxing and there's this lovely sense that I'm being productive and getting something done. 
 
It might be springtime now, but it will be winter soon. Hopefully, I can practice my knitting some more over the summer, so by the time that winter comes, it can serve a purpose. For now, I just have to finish that scarf.
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Awesome, congrats on learning knitting!! I had to make a scarf as an assignment in my junior year of high school for a home ec class, and I really got into it. I actually finally finished my first big project, a tank top with a lacy scalloped edge, last night.

    ReplyDelete