Saturday, June 15, 2013

Support Systems

 It's easy to focus on what you don't have or what's wrong. Hell, it's often needed to keep one sane. But at some point, it's important to focus on what you do have. And so I am writing this article almost as a direct response to yesterday's blog post.

Because, you see, even though I have been surrounded by assholes, I have also been around some pretty amazing people. And as easily as it might be to forget that, I won't let myself. It might be easy to take that for granted but I won't. I have an amazing support system at home and I'm already starting to make friends with the people I am going to attend camp with on Facebook. There are so many people in my situation who don't have that kind of support, which makes their situation even more difficult. But I'm not one of those people and I have to be grateful for that. Father;s Day has got me thinking about one of the most influential people in my support system and how important my support system is over all.

Support systems are really wonderful. A support system is willing to lend you a hand and an ear when you need help and whenever you aren't able to offer it for yourself. They're willing to help you pick up the pieces of yourself. They're willing to let you know that someone cares even when you think no one does, that someone finds you wonderful even when you hate yourself. That they love you even when they aren't willing to put up your bullshit.  When they aren't able to help you, they fight to find someone you can. They fight for you in general whenever someone hurts you. They are your greatest advocates. But most of all, they care. And sometimes that's all you really need: someone who cares about you.

A support system offers love, reassurance but, most of all, security. You always have someone to fall back on. You know that, despite everything, there will always be some people who love you unconditionally and will be able to forgive almost anything you do.

It's heartbreaking to know that there are so many kids out there who don't have this. When those kids are lost, they have no one to show them the way. When they cry, they cry alone. When they need help, they must find it for themselves. They don't have all of the things a support system offers. Is it no wonder they go down such self-destructive paths? I don't know how anyone gets along without one.

Sometimes, you do have a support system when you don't think you do even when it's a poor one. You have people who love and care for you far beyond what you know even if they aren't so great at showing it.

Support systems are so important to help a kid grow up. They really are. Who doesn't need an extra dose of love every once in a while after all?

No comments:

Post a Comment