Monday, August 5, 2013

The Nostalgia of Youth






Youth is something that pulls at you long after it's gone. After yesterday's article, I really got to thinking about my childhood in general. Not to mention, since dolls were such an integral part of my childhood, that got me thinking about it too. I also got to go to the local pool and seeing all the children play made me feel a strange tug at my heart: I wanted to be a kid again. I thought about being a kid again for the first time in a long time.

And I miss being a kid. Because really, who doesn't? Sure, there are a few sad cases but, in most cases, childhood is something that is the best time of most people's lives. Of course, my childhood wasn't perfect but it was pretty good.

Children can get away with so much more than teenagers can. Or at least it feels that way to me. They can play in the water park without strange looks and they can do all sorts of silly, immature things without an eyeroll. They can play with dolls and they can have imaginary friends and all that fun stuff. They get to frolic around without a care in the world. Best of all, though, they get to live in a safe, sheltered world.




Perhaps, it's the age I'm at now. But if I had the choice, I would either go back five years or forward five years.

Of course, I know that childhood isn't exactly as rosy as we remember it as. There were parts of my childhood, I'm leaving out. My dolls might have followed me on my various adventures... but that's because they were substitutes for real friends. My childhood was often a lonely one and bullies often made it terrifying. I've watched friends' parents get divorced as well as go through a variety of other hard things. So maybe childhood isn't exactly wonderful but I feel like it's pretty freaking good.

But still, I wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment