Saturday, October 12, 2013

Drowning in Work



My brain is fried. Actually, so is everything else about me, now that I come to think about it. I have a ten-page research paper due by the first of November. How in the world will I do it? I don't know. I have a few other assignments due, too, but they pale in comparison to the sheer work that this involves. I'm taking a break from it now to gain a little bit of sanity.

Of course, this is a fascinating topic in a course that proves to have a variety of nuances to it. Before, I would just glean all of the facts together and report them. But now, I have to analyze the facts and use them to prove my point. I did this when I was in debate, to a degree, although I had a little bit more flexibility than I do in a full-on class setting.

But God, there are so many sources to comb through. So much analysis to do. For now, I'm simply trying to organize the sheer mass of information that I have on the subject. How do I prove that the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was the single greatest piece of equal rights legislation and also the greatest advancement for African Americans? Not only can I say what it is; I have to compare life beforehand to life in the present as well as a variety of things. It makes searching for sources even harder.

I literally have stacks of papers I've printed out, books I've found in the library, etc. And it's all surrounding me like some sort of vise.

Did I mention I still have my Shakespeare adaptation to do for English? That's much more manageable, of course, but at this point, it's something else to do.

This is definitely teaching me a lesson in time management. The effects of such a lesson, however, are brutal. Thankfully, I still have three more days off to do this (thanks Columbus Day!). I'm really glad that I'm having to do this assignment in this school at least as I'll have ample time off (and ample time free during the day) to get this done. But still.

I guess this is what I get for choosing to take an AP class.

1 comment:

  1. People should not work continuously otherwise it will be bad not only for their mind but for the physical health also. Tori, you have good writing skills. I loved your article.

    Regards,
    Arnold Brame

    ReplyDelete