Sunday, October 13, 2013

My Temporary Stint as a Journalist

One of the things I love most about my new school is all of the new things that it lets me explore. One of those things is working in the newspaper.

I had dabbled in working at my newspaper at my old school, yet this is different. This almost feels like more of a commitment. And honestly, it's more fun too. It might be because I like writing about things relating to this school more than the last but still, I like it.

Anyway, it's not hard-hitting journalism (school journalism rarely is) . I'm not trying to seriously investigate something or whatever. Instead it's a cute fluff piece: I'm writing about the dogs on campus.

It still requires me to ask interview questions, to reach out to people, to take pictures and do meet-ups and all that. It sounded like it would be a lot of work and at first, I was a little reluctant to do it. But now, it's a lot of fun, even more fun than a lot of other articles I've done in the past. Plus, they're not just random pieces that I'm writing but articles that requires a bit more journalistic type of work. 

The questions I thought up were silly and it was fun to do that. Then I got to see the responses and they really made me laugh.

Meeting up with the teachers was a lot of fun too. I felt so cool just interviewing everyone like that with my pad and pen and all of that.

And the dogs! They were such a joy, sweet little balls of energy that just loved to be around people. I'm such an animal person that I couldn't help but gravitate towards them. Meeting them really helped add to the article and add a new perspective for me.

I'm taking a break from my research paper in order to write this article. It's hard to capture these dogs' personalities in such little space (I could write articles individually about all of them), but I'm definitely doing my best.

I'll be sad when newspaper ends for sure. This is so much fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment