Sunday, August 28, 2011

Hurricane/Last Day of Freedom

So right after my first earthquake I had to deal with my first hurricane. It seems like something out of a book almost.

Alright, I could make this all dramatic like I did the last time but as you can tell from the second part from this blog post title, I'm really not in the mood.

Basically it happened at eleven or so last night. There was a ferocious pounding on the ceiling and the left hip that I got surgery on was bothering the crap out of me (it always throbs a little when it rains for some bizarre reason. Ask any amputee or person whose been operated on/has had a major injury done to them and they'll tell you the same thing). Those are two majorly inconvenient things for someone trying to get back on a sleep schedule. So finally I gave up and went to the exercise room because it had a window with a view on the street and I wanted something to talk about with my experience with my first hurricane.

What I saw was something that looked like something on a newscast. The trees were swaying back and forth; there was this howling/rustling noise outside; the rain came down in a frenzy and formed a shallow river on the street below with a crazy current.

Eventually, I went back to sleep. By the time I woke up, Irene was gone. Though we still don't know about our shore house, our main house managed to survive the storm intact and with the power still working (many of our relatives can't say the same. They're currrently without power). Being as I'm unhurt and no one I know has been hurt by the storm or lost anything, I can't help but feel it's kinda cool that I experienced my first hurricane (not that I don't feel horrible for those who can't say the same, though. I really do).
Unfortunately, no power outages means no school delays. Tomorrow I will be starting my first day as a freshman. So this is officially my last day of summer and of freedom.

I know I'm supposed to look at this like an adventure or a fresh start and maybe it will be. Still I can't help but think of the high school horror stories that I've heard (especially from my parents. Yet again my district performs significantly better than theirs ever did. Most of the people in my district are also white-collar workers with six-figure salaries not blue-collar workers barely getting by. I'll also never have to deal with riot dogs or being in the wrong place with the wrong skin color). School is no longer creeping around the corner but it's here and I have to deal with it now. Usually when people enter a situation they ask what's the worst it can be. But with high school the worst it can be is pretty freaking bad (especially if you are a self-idenified word nerd).

Since this is my last day of freedom and summer, I'm going to enjoy the crap out of it and not let my anxiety get in the way again. As New York City's mayor said (or maybe it was Philly's), I'm going to prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment