Tuesday, August 30, 2011

I Survived My First Day of High School!/ Thoughts

So I'm here now. I finally feel that I can officially call myself a freshman.

My first day wasn't wonderful. I can't say that I walked out of high school with a smile on my face and a bounce to my walk. But at least I didn't come home and burst out in tears, like I half-expected I was going to.

So the first half of the day they had us do these stupid bonding rituals or whatever and I was bored out of my mind. On the bright side, it did give me an opportunity to read much of the time and I happen to be reading a very good book right now (my mom yelled at me when I told her that. Apparently using my books as an excuse not to have to socialize is a bad thing. Telling from the quality of the conversations I heard around me and the fact that most of the girls were divided between Jersey Shore and Pretty Little Liars when we had to talk about our favorite shows as their favorite shows, they didn't seem like the type of girls that would make good friends for someone like me). The second half of the day I was so busy getting to my classes (I'm terrified for when I have to deal with all of the upperclassmen too) that I didn't really have much time to think and classes were so short the day didn't feel as long.

On the bright side it doesn't seem like I'm going to have as much homework as I thought I would (I heard that the English teacher I have is super-strict and gives a lot of it but it's English so I'll be much more likely to enjoy it). Unfortunately, school will definitely get into the way of my writing especially considering that I'm also planning to join a lot of clubs which will also get in the way of what little free time I have.

Okay this should be it for me and school angst. I've written enough blog posts on it already.

Lately, I've been beginning to feel shallow for making this all about me. My writer's block or my worry about school or how I've fared the earthquake and the hurricane. I mean I was watching the news last night and they were talking about how they were finding out how Gaddafi had ordered so many people murdered and how their loved ones were claiming their decomposed bodies (which looked quite terrible and horrible but no worse than any Holocaust/ Rwandan genocide pictures that I've had to view for school for my project). I mean I'm hearing complaining about how horrible school makes me feel and the thought of it when so many parents, siblings, children, grandchildren, nieces, cousins, nephews, and friends will never come home again.

I promise that I'll write of some deep, thought-provoking posts in the future. I was going to post a piece on how disgusting bigotry is after watching The Help (which is a pretty good adaptation for once. Excellent movie based on an excellent book) but that day was so busy that I never got around to it. I'm sure that some homophoic and/or racist asshole (Glenn Beck, anyone?) will make the news in the future, though, so it will most likely be the topic of a future blog post.

I guess I'll have to see what blog posts and high school and future will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment